Clean Eating Recipes..and my basics

A few days ago I summoned my Facebook friends to send me new recipes that they enjoyed making that were considered clean eating.  Then, one of those friends asked if I could compile some of the recipes into one post.  Most of the recipes I post are clean eating, at least in my eyes or as close as I can get them, but I wanted new recipes to add to my weekly rotations.

I think clean eating can mean many different things depending on the person, and how far along they are in their progress with a healthy eating lifestyle.  "Clean eating" is defined as eating foods as close to the whole natural state as possible and with little to no preservatives.  The word "healthy" can mean many things depending on your point in the healthy lifestyle process and circumstances surrounding you.  Healthy can be synonymous with: low calorie, low-salt, vegetarian, low-fat, less processed, and so on, and so on.  So for confusions sake, I try to refrain from the word "healthy".

This is clean eating defined by me, a busy Stay at Home Mom with 3 high-energy children, with limited or precious time, who enjoys cooking and trying new recipes, and has been moving towards clean eating for most of my adult life.
  • LOADS of veggies and fruit in their natural state (cooked or raw)
  • LOADS of water
  • lean proteins (peanut butter, fish, eggs, nuts, hummus, beans, chicken, but also some beef with limited pork)
  • good fat (fish, avocado, olives, nuts, eggs, peanut butter)
  • limited cheese (this is more from a calorie perspective and that its not very lean, but I still use it on top of soups and maybe in a sandwich.
  • limited bread (I LOVE bread, but feel less bloated when I keep track of how much I consume, plus it eats up calories)
  • limited sweets (cookies, candies, donuts) and limited added sugar (syrup, processed sugar, adding sugar or drinks)
  • little to no fast food
  • keep processed food to a bare minimum
I used to count calories, but unless I'm trying to loose weight I don't because I'm fairly well comfortable in knowing things that are higher or lower in calorie and things I should eat smaller portions of.  I also used to have a very UNHEALTHY lifestyle of limiting myself of foods and only eating LOW-FAT and sometimes would only eat one, maybe two meals a day.  I have tried to completely eliminate sugar or sweets from my diet but when I do that, I end up binging.  So for me, I used the words "limited" or "little" because I try to be realistic and set a boundary at the same time.

These are some things I try to do most days that work well for ME.
  • Have a protein in the morning
  • Eat a salad for lunch (with protein)
  • Drinks lots of water
  • Watch my portion control
  • Limited sugar/sweets per week (like on the weekends)
  • 4 meals a day (one being a midday snack)
  • A snack around 2 or 3 o'clock with protein and a fruit
  • Have a veggie with at least 2 or 3 of the meals
  • No fried foods
  • Very few creamy or heavy foods
  • Whole fast food options (because fast food is bound to happen)
  • Little to no pasta
  • Exercise 2-3 times a week (this should be higher, but I just...don't)
  • Up and moving around, not sedentary
  • Wine (I haven't limited myself besides to say I don't want to be hungover the next day, so...)
Now this is at my most strict.  And believe me, there are plenty of days these things don't happen.  There are days when I'm craving Skyline or days when I have a crispy chicken sandwich, or a lot of days when I have something sweet to eat.  That being said, I think It's good to have a list to refer to, and try to hit most of them, but with the reality that it's not always going to happen.  I TRY to make most of my food from scratch, even broths and kids snacks.  Homemade has less processing and is cheaper and  can guarantee a veggie/fruit or two.  Chopping fresh tastes better to me than frozen, but takes more time.  However, sometimes...I'm JUST tired...or there isn't enough time.  I have the mindset to feed myself and my children mostly clean options 75% of the time and be a little more relaxed the other 25 % of the time.  My kids are rarely sick and us too.  Neither me or my husband have any diagnosed illness or disease...and still like to indulge in things like wine, beer, chocolate, sweets, fast food, etc.  But we try to make the majority of our week "clean eating".

This is NOT clean eating:
 


CLOSER carrots, pistachios, and tootsie rolls (something my child chose for me):



 THERE!  This is whole food!  See how naturally colorful it is!!! and tasty to boot!



Now, most times my broth is bought in the store and my beans are canned and sometimes the veggies are canned or frozen.   However, I think buying those things is even one more step closer to whole food than if I bought the entire meal pre-made in a box or in the freezer section (note: frozen plain veggies are better for you than canned, because they are packaged closer to their original, more fresh state).  I try often to buy organic, but sometimes the budget doesn't allow, so in that case I try to do every other time.  I hope this helps, or gives you insight to what we do.

Here are the recipes my friends posted to my thread a few days ago that I intend to try.

Make Ahead Vegetarian Moroccan Stew: This looks tasty and I very likely I will make it because most of the ingredients are items I usually have or shop for regularly.

Cleansing Detox Soup: This looks SOOOOO yummy.  I may end up using a powder of some of the spices and there are some ingredients I would have to specifically remember, but it is a one pot recipe, which I LOVE!  This would be great for resetting from a sweet filled time or for when you are sick.

Slow Cooker 3-Bean Vegetarian Chili: This sounds amazing and seems pretty easy, AND it's in a crockpot.  Lots of winning going on here.

Vegan Lentil Curry:  This was tasty, just a few things I did different or would add next time. I added sauteed tofu instead of garbanzo beans, because I'm not a fan, that I first pan fried in slices before cutting into cubes.  You should add salt to the onion and garlic mixture.  I would add, cumin and a little pepper as well.  I think maybe sauteing the onion and garlic in butter might also change the taste.  I also might use brown rice the next time.  So yummy!

Creamy Broccoli White Bean Soup

Crock-Pot Beans and Rice: I usually make my beans in a slow-cooker in a big batch, freeze in portions, and then make red beans and rice.  But this may take one less step or if you didn't have any on hand, or for the cooler months.

Cream of Zucchini Soup:

Egg Roll in a Bowl:

Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup:

Most of the recipes I post are clean-eating, so I'm just going to post a few more for other ideas:

Sausage Kale & Lentil Soup

Southwest Soup

Tomato Salad

The Anything Topper

Black Bean & Corn Soup

Spiced Up Spaghetti Squash Casserole

Kale Chicken & Tomato Soup
this is a family favorite.

I think that's it for now.  Enjoy the first few weeks of clean eating:)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Muffins

In the midst of it all

At the Ready