Sausage, Kale, & Lentil Soup


This is a picture of my candy shelf...stuffed to the max!

I don't know about you, but I definitely need to start the year off with clean eating.  I do this to myself every December.  I make loads of sweets to make memories with my littles and to consume them, of course.  Twice a year, my wonderful husband spoils me with my favorite treats - Christmas and my birthday (I think my wine consumption exponentially increases in December too, but that's not up for review).  So, back to clean eating it is. 

Here is a sure fire recipe to use up just about any veggie in the fridge, plus it's packed with protein and healthy grains.  This is also great for those cold winter days and for days when you only want to dirty one pot.  This recipe can just grow and grow; the more food you add the more water you will need.

You can do this with a crock-pot, just saute the sausage and then throw all the other ingredients in.  Also, as usual, these are all approximations.  These are the veggies I had in the fridge.  Other variations you could also add or use: green/yellow squash, okra, green peppers, green beans, or summer sausage instead of raw sausage.  I did not add too much extra salt or seasoning because of the sausage (maybe just a sprinkle).


Recipe

Olive oil
3-5 Italian sausages (or chorizo for more spice), cut into bite size
1/2 an onion, chopped
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 can of no salt added diced tomatoes 
1 to 2 cans of vegetable broth or Beef broth (beef would add more flavor, but also more sodium)
1/2 to a 1/3 a bunch of kale, stems removed and ripped into bite size pieces
1/2 a bag of julienne cut sun dried tomatoes (found these in a resealable bag in the salad section)
1 cup of lentils
extra water

  1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
  2. Saute the sausage for 5 minutes.  Stir.
  3. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic.  Saute for another 5 minutes stirring so as not to stick to the pot.
  4. Add the broth.  Bring to a boil.  
  5. Add the tomatoes, kale, sundried tomatoes, and lentils.
  6. Add water till it is covered generously.
  7. Bring to a boil again.  Simmer, covered for 20-30 minutes or the lentils have popped.
  8. Serve with oyster crackers or a nice loaf of bread
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Muffins

In the midst of it all

At the Ready