Slimnastics

I like that name...slimnastics...

I typed in "exercise" to see what words were synonyms and this was one of them.

Ok, people...I have something I want to say...

It might be news to some of you, but to those of you who know me, maybe not so much of a surprise...

I do not like exercising...

I don't. I know.  Super motivating.

I am just in aw of people who say, "I do because it's my one hour of peace"...or "I thrive on it. I NEED to do it." I have yet to be in a workout that is actually peaceful for me...even Yoga, yes calming, but yeah I'm not buying peaceful. AND I also have never said the words, "I NEED to go workout, I've missed it." P-sh!

I get it. One hour without someone pulling/climbing/whining all over me is quite delightful and filling, but not peaceful for me.

I enjoy being active, and with other people, and such, but the actual act of getting myself to the gym or outside to run by myself...It's just hard man and my least favorite thing.

Some say, "I'm so glad I did it once it's over." and my brain is usually saying, "I'm so glad it's OVER!"

So to those of you who enjoy and literally get a thrill out of exercising - my husband included - I applaud you!  Really I do! Because if I could spend my hour ANYWHERE else it would not be exercising.  I would choose MANY other things before exercising. So I owe many of you, MANY thanks.  Because a lot of times YOU are the only thing motivating me to actually make my heart beat faster than just carrying my laundry up the stairs.

Baffled you say by this news?!?!...probably because all you usually see me in are workout clothes...well, I do workout.  3-4 times a week I workout.  But HONESTLY, if I did not have accountable people in my life it probably wouldn't happen. SO 'UGE  shout-out to Tim, Tori, Sam, and all the girls at the Y, you rock!

I was gonna list all of the reasons I hate working out - like because I am getting old and it HURTS the next day or because it's so stressful to fit in into my calendar - but instead I will try and be positive here and list WHY I do this thing called slimnastics...

  • I want to live...seriously I know the health benefits to exercising and I want to be around for a long time.  Seeing my mom turn her life around at the age of 69 and become a CrossFit enthusiast, that there is reason enough. She is able to keep up so much better with my kids...
  • I enjoy being able to move my body around more easily and without it feeling like such a burden.  After Ben was born I had quite a ways to go with my weight loss and I remember how hard it was to lug all the extra weight around. Now it's not so hard to run up a hill.
  • I enjoy being challenged by other people...but also I am not hardcore/competetive enough to always win the sprint or have the fastest high-knees...just sometimes and in short spurts.
  • I am asked by someone to go and run with them...I really am so thankful for Tim and Tori because they know every time they ask me I might have an excuse...but bless their hearts, they still ask. 
  • I like the way my body looks NOW.  I am shapely.  I may not be the "number" I want to be but I enjoy my life and I enjoy the way I look in tight dresses...I couldn't always say that even at a smaller number.
  • When I do conquer a hard class or something I thought difficult like a handstand, it gives me a boost of confidence. Confidence is good :)
  • Keeps me is shape so I can dance. Ok, dancing is something I always want to be able to do at a moments notice - and kill it every time - so I gotta be in shape for that of course!
  • It makes me feel strong...like moving a dresser up/down the stairs with another person...I don't really give it much thought because I'm fairly confident I can.
  • God asks us to take care of what he's given us. So here I am taking care of myself.
  • I get a shower in.  Yes, I know many people are taking the showers without working out, but being smelly is my sole purpose for showering, and so that my husband will talk to me.
  • I like to eat. And I mean eat. I like to cook and bake all the things. I also like to eat sugar. And fruit. So there’s that. 
  • I like my kids to see that I am active and for good reasons...not

    just to be skinny. I like them to know I can go outside and kick a

    soccer ball with them and they don't always have to ask their dad. I want them to have a good body image and not because I lecture them but because they see me being healthy. This is my biggest reason.

I think those are good reasons.  So I want to say, if you are anything like me...I KNOW it sucks to get there, and it stinks to BE there, but maybe find someone to hold you accountable and GET 'ER DONE. I'm not sure I can be that person for you, but I know a lot of people who help me :)

Happy Slimnasticking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Muffins

In the midst of it all

At the Ready