Fish Soup

Many of my recipes involve a good amount of garlic and onion. Well I am experimenting with a special diet for one of my lovelies and the diet excludes or strongly suggests to omit garlic and onion. I use those ingredients in just about every one of my recipes. My grandmother made a phenomenal Fish Soup; a recipe passed down to my mother as well. I love the thought of family recipes, and feel a bit guilty at the thought of changing them. But I am making adjustments as I see fit, to suit the needs of my family. So here is a version of my grandmother's fish soup.

*just as with any soup I always taste before serving. Sometime I need extra salt and sometimes I don’t. We do not overly salt our foods so you may need extra. 

Ingredients:
5 whole carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
4 stalks of celery, sliced and chopped
cooking oil (I used avocado oil)
Salt
pepper
1 tsp. Cumin
1&1/2 tsp. Ginger
2 lbs. Tilapia
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 cup cut, uncooked, Green beans
1/2 sweet red pepper, chopped into bite size.
1 large container of chicken broth or other broth (enough to cover and make veggies swim).
1 cup plain yogurt (I used soy yogurt)
Extra water if needed
Torn kale
*optional: chopped green onion

Recipe:
  1. In a pot, heat your cooking oil over medium heat. Then add the carrots and celery. Saute for about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt, half the cumin, and half the ginger. Saute until carrots are soft. Then remove the carrots and celery and set aside.
  2. Set the pot back on the stove and heat it up high.  Add a touch more of cooking oil and just a tad of the broth. The liquid should boil.  Scrape the bottom of the pot and add the fish.  Sprinkle with the rest of the seasonings. Sprinkle with salt. Cook the fish on medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Flip the fish and cook another 3 minutes or until fish flakes apart. Break into pieces with your spoon.
  3. Add the chicken broth, carrots and celery mixture, green beans, red pepper, and any water you may need to make your food swim. Sprinkle with salt.
  4. You can add a tad more oil to the pot, but not a lot. Bring the soup to a boil.  Then once it is boiling turn down to a slow simmer.  Simmer for at least a half hour or more.  We added about 1-2 cups of torn kale to the soup as it started to simmer. I also slowly added the yogurt, stirring as adding.
  5. Always check your broth to see if it needs more flavor like salt, ginger, or other spices. 
  6. Serve with chopped green onions if you'd like.
*this would be good with cilantro on top as well. 
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Muffins

In the midst of it all

At the Ready